Saturday 13 June 2015

Please let me introduce Ninacarralindy!

So I changed my job about four months ago and now I work at home half the time, so as much as I love to wear dresses, now it's got to the winter, all I want to wear are comfy and warm separates. Cue knit fabrics and easy to wear tops!

Enter... the StyleArc Nina cardigan, Sewaholic Belcarra and Itch to Stitch Lindy
Petal skirt, hence the title Ninacarralindy - like it?


StyleArc Nina cardigan
I made this up for the first time in May, it's a great pattern and can be cut out and made up really quickly. I think I can now cut it out in about an hour and a half and can sew it up in about 3 hours! That's a quick made and instant gratification!


StyleArc patterns come from Australia. When you look through the images on their website, there are just line drawings, but some items on the website do have photographs of made up versions once you click through. When ordering the patterns, you just order your size. These are not multi-sized patterns. They come in a clear wallet and also include a small sample of the suggested fabric which I think is a nice touch.


The pattern pieces include seam allowances. The instructions are brief. There are certainly not lots of images to keep Nikki happy! However, this cardigan is simple enough even I can make it up without lots of images :-) The sleeves are attached, followed by the sleeve and side seams in one go. Next the bottom section is attached followed by the collar. Easy!


I made the whole cardigan on my overlocker and also finished the edges with my overlocker too. I liked this part on the pattern as the pattern pieces state BabyLock the edge, and of course I have a BabyLock overlocker. Only the best for me and Style Arc!


The details
Fabric: Navy blue cotton jersey knit from the Fabric Warehouse, January 2015.
Notions: Thread and some tape to stabilise the shoulder seams and back of the neck.
Pattern: Style Arc Nina Cardigan, size 12
Changes made: None
First worn: Beginning of June for these photos. I reckon this will get a lot of wear though. It's a bit cool for the winter but come the spring it'll be in regular wear, I know!
Another one/Recommendations: I completely recommend this pattern. I love it so much, I have now made three of these cardigans! It's easy to make up, all the notches match perfectly and the drafting is really good.


Sewaholic Belcarra
This is another really quick make. I first made this pattern around Easter from a really fine fabric. This one was a whole lot easier to make up as I used quite a stiff cotton fabric. There wasn't quite enough fabric and I toyed with the idea of adding a contrast hem and cuffs. Discussing it with members of the WSBN I left it all the same fabric and just used a plain fabric as bias binding for the hem and neck so it didn't tie me down so much with matching other separates with it.


I've made up quite a few Sewaholic patterns. I really like them, the fit is great for me. This particular pattern is quick and easy to cut and make up and can be made out of minimum fabric amounts. This fabric is quite stiff cotton, but it still works well for the top.


Sewaholic instructions are great. Clear and easy to read with lots of lovely images. This was actually the first time I've bought a Sewaholic PDF pattern, which was perfect for this, since there are not lots of pages to print and stick together! It certainly saved me from using that fine thin tissue which Sewaholic patterns use.


The details
Fabric: Flowered cotton remnant from Evans of Masterton, April 2015.
Notions: Thread and navy blue cotton from stash for bias binding.
Pattern: Sewaholic Belcarra, view A, size 12.
Changes made: it's been shortened by about an inch because I ran out of fabric.
First worn: Beginning of June for these photos! 
Another one/recommendations: More pattern love. The Belcarra is easy to make up, easy to wear and can be made dressy or casual. There are so many options for fabric matching, ie cuffs, pocket, etc. I can make these up so fast now and the fifth one is planned!


Itch to Stitch Lindy Petal Skirt
So I've surpassed myself, I've actually made up three separates! This pattern was released at the beginning of May as a free pattern. Not one to turn down freebies I went to check it out. Wow! What a great surprise. It was my perfect comfy winter skirt. I've got an old RTW knit skirt which is now beginning to lose its shape. This is the perfect replacement! 


To be honest I'd happily pay for this pattern. The instructions are not half-hearted as you might expect from something free. These instructions have all the information you need included and more. There are clear diagrams showing how to lengthen the skirt, how to grade between sizes, which machine to use to make it up, etc... The list is endless!


I actually cut this out in an hour and then made it up in about three. All done in one day! I've lengthened it by an inch and a half just to make it more work friendly, particularly with the petal front (I'm about 5'6"). The whole skirt was made up in my overlocker. I used my normal machine to attach the waistband down and to sew the double hem at the bottom. The fit is great. The waist bad has knitted elastic encased in it to give it a lovely snug fit. Even so this skirt is great if you've had a big meal! It's also really good for rolling up if I go away for work as well as being so comfy for working from home in. I honestly have no complaints at all, anywhere!


The details
Fabric: Grey double knit with a herringbone pattern from the Fabric Warehouse, May 2015. Sorry, the fabric won't photograph well for a close up!
Notions: Thread and knitted elastic for the waistband. 
Changes made: Lengthened by 1.5 inches.
First worn: As soon as I'd made it up at the end of May! I just couldn't help myself. It's certainly going to get a lot of wear. 
Another one/Recommendations: Ahem, well if you want pattern love, look no further! OK I'm gushing but do I care? Nope, not a bit! I guess not everyone would like this skirt, but if it's your kind of skirt go get it! Easy to make, easy to wear, what else can a girl want? My second one has already been made up and is in regular wear!


And all made conveniently in time for The Monthly Stitch Indie Pattern Month Separates week.

Competition Banner_Separates 

Oh and wanna see what happens when a good friend takes your photos...


2 comments:

  1. I love the combination of Nina belCarra Lindy! I especially love your detailed pattern reviews, thank you – your outfit looks great, and I love them all separately, lovely work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heaps for drawing my attention to the lindy - i am very keen to give it a try. Like you say i would happily pay for a pattern like that but a freebie is such a bonus!

    ReplyDelete