Friday 5 June 2015

Gillian awesomeness

Now I love a wrap dress as much as the next, but never until now have I found a wrap dress which fits, doesn't gape and just makes me want to wear it all the time.


This if you haven't guessed is the Muse Patterns Gillian dress. Yes I know it's from the creative mind of my great friend Kat from the WSBN, but honestly I am NOT biased. Just read the reviews elsewhere on the Interwebs and you'll believe me!


I decided to use the red contrast as the blue flowery knit is quite a fine knit and the red gives it considerably more stability where it needs it. Even though I had two completely different knit fabrics, they work really well together.


I cut this out at the beginning of May and it went together so quickly. Kat's instructions are clear and easy to follow. I got a bit confused with the waistband to begin with, but I was suffering from the beginnings of lurgy and probably my head wasn't really thinking straight! Looking at the instructions now, they make perfect sense and I think a really novel way of creating the waistband with the gap through which to put the tie through. The instructions have lots of images - you all know by now how much I like images! Pictures, give me pictures!


I didn't really know what length to cut, I went with the longest version and am completely happy with it. It is the perfect length to me, I'm about 5'5', sorry I think that's about 165cm in new money. I wasn't completely sure how long the skirt would be, the pattern states the top length and the skirt length. I wasn't completely certain if this translated into the length of the skirt for the dress as well, but this is the perfect length. Since this is also a knit, I didn't worry about the cup size. This Muse pattern is for a B cup, which certainly isn't me, but, this works. I didn't show it, but this wrap dress does not gape - yay!! Oh and the best bit about the bodice - the gathers onto the yoke.


This pattern has three sleeve lengths, I went for the 3/4 elbow length sleeves. I love this length sleeves. They are perfect in my mind.


The details
Fabric: Plain red knit and blue floral knit from the Fabric Warehouse, January 2015.
Notions: Thread and some tape to stabilise the shoulder seams.
Pattern: Muse Gillian dress size 38, I'm actually between sizes, so went for the smaller one, this is a perfect fit.
Changes made: None
First worn: Middle of May, I couldn't help but wear it as soon as I'd made it! These photos were taken at the end of May when it was a wee bit chilly!
Another one/Recommendations: I completely recommend this pattern. The drafting is fantastic, the instructions are clear and easy to follow. Oh and did I say it fits perfectly with no gape? I already have another planned, so watch this space.


Conveniently I've made this up in time for the first week of Indie Pattern Month from The Monthly Stitch!

3 comments:

  1. Such a stunning dress and you look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is absolutely stunning. I love the fit and the colour combinations. Definitely going to check out this pattern now. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely need more red in your life, it's an amazing colour on you!

    ReplyDelete